Our mission: To increase access to community-led health and wellness programs for Indigenous Canadians, now and for future generations.
February 2022: We are proud to announce the launch of Talking Stick, a By First Nations, For First Nations approach to encourage anonymous conversations and listening. Talking Stick is designed to harness the compassion and kindness that is abundantly available within Indigenous communities. Through this program, hundreds of Indigenous Peers will be empowered to bridge gaps in care and reduce common barriers that exist today.
Every Voice Matters is the theme of Talking Stick, a celebration of our commitment to language, inclusion, and self-determination. The anonymous chat platform will provide a safe destination for any First Nation member to share in confidence their concerns, fears, questions, and emotions related to vaccine anxiety, pandemic-related distress, and other culturally specific topics as they emerge.
The Talking Stick app encourages non-judgmental conversations with community-based Peer Advocates who are trained to listen. It is the Peers themselves who are engaged with the community and culture, that are the best equipped to understand the challenges and resilience of their people. This program will create a first-of-its-kind Peer Advocate network to support community health and healing.
We believe hope alone is not a strategy for change. Together we can deliver meaningful innovation and sustainable support to meet the challenges of Indigenous People in Canada. Please join us on this very exciting journey as we work to reimagine the relationship between vulnerable people and the communities where they live.
For more information, contact email@example.com
We ARE Hiring Part-Time peer Advocates
for Talking Stick - a by First Nations for First Nations Virtual Safe Space
- Age 16 and above.
- A resident of Saskatchewan and First Nations.
- Willing to listen and provide support to others who may be struggling with difficult situations.
- Empathetic and compassionate towards others.
- Reliable and trustworthy.
- Available for a minimum of 40 “online” hours per month (must be a blend of days, evenings, and weekends).
As a Peer Advocate you will:
- Be available to respond to online chat requests throughout the day/evenings. You will use your own phone and computer.
- Ensure that all anonymous guests feel supported, valued, and listened to.
- Attend a 90-minute Training Session before you get started.
- Be a positive ambassador in your community, raising awareness about the Talking Stick app.
About Talking Stick
Talking Stick is an anonymous chat platform that connects First Nations individuals to culture-based support and confidential conversations. Every Voice Matters is the theme of Talking Stick, which represents the program’s commitment to language, inclusion, and self-determination.
The anonymous chat platform will provide a virtual safe space for every First Nation individual to share in confidence their concerns, fears, questions, and emotions related to vaccine anxiety, stress, isolation, mental wellness, and other topics as they arise.
- This is a part-time position, requiring a minimum of 40 hours ‘online’ per month
- Peer Advocates will earn a fixed amount of $350.00 per month (+ the potential to earn additional $$$ for each completed chat session)
How to Apply
A resume is not required to apply, however all Peer Advocates must complete a short application form, and successfully pass a Criminal Record and Vulnerable Sector Check (we can help with this process).